||Underpinning Knowledge (Theory)
OSH & Safety Practices: (10 hours)
- Fire Fighting in workplace & Precautions
- General Safety of Tools & Equipments
- Awareness on OSH related to the job
- Fire Extinguishers & its Types
- Safely handling Tools & Equipments
- Use of proper Tools & Equipments & its maintenance
- OSH & practices to be observed as a precaution
Personnel & Material Safety: (10 hours)
- Select, use, clean and store personal safety protective equipment.
- Use and store of materials in a safe manner.
- Demonstrate the use of safety devices on metal cutting machines.
- 5S norms
- State the safety precaution specific to turning on the lathe.
- Safety related to handling of materials.
- Safety devices used for safe machining.
Lathe & Tool specification: (20 hours)
- Demonstration of turning operation on lathe.
- Practice on operation of lathe
- Selection of tools, general cleaning and maintenance and safe storage of tools applicable to workshop tasks.
- Introduction to Lathe, description, types of Lathe - constructional features and functions.
- Specification of a Center Lathe.
- Identify types of lathe tools and their uses.
- Classification & properties of tool materials & selection criteria. ISO specification on carbide tools.
Job Holding & Centering: (20 hours)
- Demonstrate the use of job holding devices on metal cutting machines & safety precautions.
- Study of process planning sheet
- Practice on centering the job.
- Use of three and four-jaw chuck
- Soft jaw boring.
- Different job holding devices in turning.
- Describe the basic method of Work holding devices - three jaw chuck, four jaw chuck, face plate, collet chuck etc.
- Describe the basic methods of supporting work – fixed steady, follower steady, tail stock.
Measuring job: (20 hours)
- Check measurements using Calipers & standard steel rule : Inch and Metric
- Check measurements of components/machined parts, using micrometers and Vernier, bore gauge, height gauge, depth gauge
- Check roundness of components using the dial test indicator and V-blocks.
Describe the principle of the measuring instruments: its use and care for measurement setting up and assembly operations-
Micrometer: internal, external, depth.
Gauges: bore gauge, height gauge,depth gauge
Vernier: Caliper, depth, height.
Dial test indicator: its measurement.
Turning operation: (100 hours)
- Simple turning using manual feed.
- Practical on work alignment, facing, turning, drilling, filleting, chamfering, grooving and parting off.
- Practical on knurling.
- Sharpening of turning, boring, grooving, parting off tool on pedestal grinder and inspection.
- Carryout general turning between centers, usage of steady and follower rests.
- Describe the geometry of the lathe tool including tool angles and its effect on turning for roughing and finishing operation.
- Type of cutting fluids & properties.
- Calculation of speed, feed & depth of cut using feed-speed chart.
- Carry out Simple machining calculation.
- Lathe operations- turn, drill, face, chamfer, and part off knurl, threading, taper and form turn.
Turning & Drilling: (80 hours)
- Practice on faceplate balancing.
- Practical on Taper turning by compound slide.
- Describe the different types of drills and taps used.
- Classification of steels, alloy steels and effect of alloying elements.
- Taper - types and uses, calculation on taper turning.
- Describe the methods of taper turning - compound slide, tailstock off-set, forming tool, taper-turning attachment and their
merits and demerits.
- Describe the methods of taper inspection-by taper plug gauge and ring gauge.
- Identify the turning fault & remedies.
Advance Turning: (120 hours)
- Turning of non-ferrous metal & non-metals such as plastic, polypropylene etc.,
- Practical on centering, pilot drilling, counter drilling, and chamfering.
- Perform boring operation.
- Produce jobs with different diameters within the permissible concentricity.
- Check prepared specimens for limits and fits.
- Taper turning by tailstock offset method.
- The significance of surface roughness, description of its symbols and its influence on the function of a component.
- Precautions while turning soft material like Aluminum
- Introduction to Special purpose lathe -Capstan, turret, copying, spinning.
Thread cutting: (120 hours)
- Set a grooving tool & perform an undercutting operation for threading.
- Set a threading tool to cut V thread and cut different types of V thread – BSW and metric
- Perform under cut inside the bore on a required length.
- Cutting square threads
- Cutting double triple start threads.
- Cut "V" thread (internal).
- Cutting eccentric jobs.
- Types of threads, forms of thread and its depth calculation.
- Calculation of speed, feed & depth of cut for cutting different types of thread on ferrous and non ferrous metals.
- Describe the methods of producing internal and external screw threads - single-start, multi-start.
- Describe the methods of carrying out drilling, grinding and reaming operations.
- Off-set turning techniques, eccentric turning and knurling.
- Identify turning fault & correction.