||Underpinning Knowledge (Theory)
OSH & Safety Practices: (10 hours)
- Fire Fighting in workplace & Precautions
- General Safety of Tools & Equipments
- Awareness on OSH related to the job
- Fire Extinguishers & its Types
- Safely handling Tools & Equipments
- Use of proper Tools & Equipments & its maintenance
- OSH & practices to be observed as a precaution
Personnel & Material Safety: (10 hours)
- Select, use, clean and store personal safety protective equipment.
- Use and store of materials in a safe manner.
- Demonstrate the use of safety devices on metal cutting machines.
- 5S norms
- State the safety precaution specific to turning on the lathe.
- Safety related to handling of materials.
- Safety devices used for safe machining.
Lathe & Tool specification: (20 hours)
- Demonstration of turning operation on lathe.
- Practice on operation of lathe
- Selection of tools, general cleaning and maintenance and safe storage of tools applicable to workshop tasks.
- Introduction to Lathe, description, types of Lathe - constructional features and functions.
- Specification of a Center Lathe.
- Identify types of lathe tools and their uses.
- Classification & properties of tool materials & selection criteria. ISO specification on carbide tools.
Job Holding & Centering: (20 hours)
- Demonstrate the use of job holding devices on metal cutting machines & safety precautions.
- Study of process planning sheet
- Practice on centering the job.
- Use of three and four-jaw chuck
- Soft jaw boring.
- Different job holding devices in turning.
- Describe the basic method of Work holding devices - three jaw chuck, four jaw chuck, face plate, collet chuck etc.
- Describe the basic methods of supporting work – fixed steady, follower steady, tail stock.
Measuring job: (20 hours)
- Check measurements using Calipers & standard steel rule : Inch and Metric
- Check measurements of components/machined parts, using micrometers and Vernier, bore gauge, height gauge, depth gauge
- Check roundness of components using the dial test indicator and V-blocks.
Describe the principle of the measuring instruments: its use and care for measurement setting up and assembly operations-
Micrometer: internal, external, depth.
Gauges: bore gauge, height gauge,depth gauge
Vernier: Caliper, depth, height.
Dial test indicator: its measurement.
Turning operation: (100 hours)
- Simple turning using manual feed.
- Practical on work alignment, facing, turning, drilling, filleting, chamfering, grooving and parting off.
- Practical on knurling.
- Sharpening of turning, boring, grooving, parting off tool on pedestal grinder and inspection.
- Carryout general turning between centers, usage of steady and follower rests.
- Describe the geometry of the lathe tool including tool angles and its effect on turning for roughing and finishing operation.
- Type of cutting fluids & properties.
- Calculation of speed, feed & depth of cut using feed-speed chart.
- Carry out Simple machining calculation.
- Lathe operations- turn, drill, face, chamfer, and part off knurl, threading, taper and form turn.
CNC Turning: (120 hours)
- Personal and CNC machine Safety.
- Select, use, clean and store personal protective equipment.
- CNC machine, CNC console.
- Machine over travel limits and emergency stop.
- Machine starting & operating in Reference Point, JOG, and Incremental Modes
- Work and tool setting.
- Co-ordinate system points, assignments and simulations.
- Absolute and incremental programming assignments and simulations.
- Work off set measurement, Tool off set measurement and entry in CNC Control.
- Tool nose radius and tool orientation entry in CNC control.
- Jaw removal and mounting on CNC Lathe.
- Manual Data Input (MDI) and MGP mode operations and checking of zero offsets and tool offsets.
- Soft jaw boring.
- Program checking in dry run, single block modes. Checking finish size by over sizing through tool offsets.
- Part program preparation, Simulation & Automatic Mode Execution for the exercise on Simple turning & Facing (step turning)
- Linear interpolation, and Circular interpolation assignments and simulations on soft ware.
- Part program preparation, Simulation & Automatic Mode Execution for the exercise on Turning with Radius / chamfer with TNRC.
- Part program preparation, Simulation & Automatic Mode Execution of CNC Machine for the exercise on Blue print programming contours with TNRC.
- Safety Precautions in CNC operation.
- State the Safe handling of tools, equipment & CNC machines, Conventional & CNC machining.
- State the types of CNC machines, advantages & limitations of CNC, computer numerical control applications,
- Describe CNC interpolation, open and close loop control systems. Co-ordinate systems and Points.
- State the CNC Machines - Turning - Milling, -, Machine axes identification.
- Identify the CNC Machine Control Unit organization.(Keys & Menus)
- Explain working principle of CNC Machine.
- Setting work and tool offsets.
- Importance of feedback devices for CNC control.
- Importance of Tool Nose Radius Compensation (TNRC).
- Cutting tool materials for CNC Turning and its applications
- ISO nomenclature for turning tool holders, boring tool holders, indexable inserts.
- Tool holders and inserts for radial grooving, face grooving, threading, drilling.
- Cutting parameters- cutting speed, feed rate , depth of cut, tool wear, tool life,relative effect of each cutting parameter on tool life.
- Cutting parameters selection from a tool manufacturer’s catalog for various operations, process planning.
- Describe the tooling systems for CNC TURNING Centers.
- State the cutting parameters selection and process planning.
- Tools layout and process sheet preparation.
CNC Advance Turning: (120 hours)
- Geometry Wear Correction.Geometry and wear offset correction.
- Part program preparation, Simulation & Automatic Mode Execution of CNC Machine for the exercise on turning.
- Stock removal cycle OD
- Drilling / boring cycles
- Stock removal cycle ID
- Part programs for thread cutting for CNC turning centers and simulation on computers.
- Machining of Part program exercises of CNC TURNING
■ Grooving and thread cutting OD
■ Grooving and thread cutting ID
■ Threading cycle OD
■ Sub programs with repetition
Using Sub Programs & Cycles in the Main
- Processes sequencing.
- Tool path study of machining operations
- Work-piece zero points and ISO/DIN G and M codes for CNC.
- Describe the stock removal cycle in CNC turning for OD / ID operation.
- Describe Tooling system for turning
- Carryout Drilling /Boring cycles in CNC Turning.
- Grooving/Threading Tools, Processes and Tool selection.
- Describe Tapping on CNC turning.
- Programming for Grooving/Threading on OD/ID in CNC Turning.
- Trouble shooting in CNC lathe machine
- Identify Factors affecting turned part quality/ productivity.