||Underpinning Knowledge (Theory)
OSH & Safety Practices: (10 hours)
- Fire Fighting in workplace & Precautions
- General Safety of Tools & Equipments
- Awareness on OSH related to the job
- Fire Extinguishers & its Types
- Safely handling Tools & Equipments
- Use of proper Tools & Equipments & its maintenance
- OSH & practices to be observed as a precaution
Personnel & Material Safety: (10 hours)
- Select, use, clean and store personal safety protective equipment.
- Use and store of materials in a safe manner.
- Demonstrate the use of safety devices on metal cutting machines.
- 5S norms
- State the safety precaution specific to turning on the lathe.
- Safety related to handling of materials.
- Safety devices used for safe machining.
Milling m/c & Tool specification: (40 hours)
- Operation of milling machines
- Tools, general cleaning and maintenance and safe storage of tools applicable to workshop tasks.
- Identifying different types of cutter used in Horizontal milling machine.
- Identifying different types of cutter used in Vertical milling machine
- Identifying different parts of Horizontal milling machine and importance of each part.
- Identifying different parts of Vertical milling machine and importance of each part
- Introduction to milling, description, types of milling m/c - constructional features and functions.
- Types of milling tools and their uses.
- Classification & properties of tool materials & selection criteria. ISO specification on carbide tools.
- Horizontal milling machine
- Vertical milling machine
- Horizontal milling operations- milling of flat surfaces, Gang and straddle milling, production of narrow slots, slotting and slitting of thin plates, key way cutting etc.
- Describe vertical milling operations-milling of sunk and recessed surfaces,woodruff cutters, use of shell end mills, face mills, face slot cutters, dovetail cutters etc.
Job Holding & Centering: (40 hours)
- Job holding devices on metal cutting machines & safety precautions.
- Study of process planning sheet
- Practice on leveling the job.
- Tool holding devices and setting the same.
- Different job holding devices in turning.
- Describe the basic method of Work holding devices - three jaw chuck, four jaw chuck, face plate, collect chuck etc.
- Describe the basic methods of supporting work – fixed steady, traveling steady.
Measuring job: (40 hours)
- Measurements using Calipers & standard scale.
- Check measurements of components/machined parts, using micrometers and verniers.
- Check roundness of components using the dial test indicator and V-blocks.
Describe the principle of the measuring instruments: its use and care for measurement setting up and assembly operations-
Micrometer: internal, external, depth.
Vernier: Caliper, depth, height. bore dial gauge.
Dial test indicator: its measurement.
Milling operation: (120 hours)
- Marking practice. Use of hand tools.
- Plain milling, slab milling.
- Work alignment, cutting as per sample and parting off.
- Checking flatness with tri-square.
- Checking squareness with tri-square.
- Step milling using side and face milling cutter.
- Milling six faces of a cubical block to an accuracy of ± 0.1mm.
- Measure using Vernier caliper
- Angular milling using angular milling cutter and checking with bevel protractor.
- Slot milling using slot milling cutter / slitting saw.
- Describe the geometry of the milling tool including tool angles and its effect on machining operation.
- Cutting fluid types, properties & applications.
- Selection of cutting speed, feed and depth of cut.
Advance Milling: (120 hours)
- Centering, pilot drilling, counter drilling, and chamfering.
- Slot milling using vertical milling machine.
- Milling a V-block, Dovetail & T-slot
- Use of dividing head.
- Milling a square, hexagon on a round rod using direct indexing.
- Describe Dividing head - types, parts,
- Calculation of spindle speeds, feeds & depth of cut for different material for relevant milling operations such as roughing and finishing etc.
- Calculation of direct indexing to mill a polygon.
Gear cutting: (120 hours)
- Identify different types of gear.
- Milling a rack, by linear indexing method.
- Cut Spur gear on horizontal milling machine by using indexing head.
- Gear tooth measurement using gear tooth vernier caliper.
- Measurement of gear tooth using flange micrometer
- Types of Gear and its use.
- Describe universal indexing head - parts and function.
- Describe methods of indexing and their Calculation.
- Describe Rack - types, nomenclature
- Nomenclature of spur gear
- Describe methods of producing rack on
- milling machine.
- Describe methods of producing Spur gear on milling machine.
- Identify and report milling machine faults